Q: What challenges do lesbian women face within the medical care system?
A: Many doctors, nurses, as well as other medical care providers haven’t had enough training to comprehend the health that is specific of lesbians, or that ladies who will be lesbians, like heterosexual ladies, may be healthier normal females. There might be obstacles to optimal wellbeing for lesbians, such as for example:
- Concern about negative responses from their medical practioners if they disclose their intimate orientation.
- Health practitioners not enough comprehension of lesbians illness risks, and conditions that could be crucial that you lesbians.
- Not enough medical health insurance as a result of no domestic partner benefits.
- Minimal observed risk of having sexually transmitted conditions and some forms of cancer tumors.
For the aforementioned reasons, lesbians often avoid routine wellness exams and also wait searching for care that is medical health conditions occur.
Q: What are very important health problems for lesbians to talk about due to their health practitioners or nurses?
- Heart problems. Cardiovascular disease is the #1 killer of all of the ladies. Facets that raise womens danger for heart problems such as for instance obesity, cigarette smoking, and anxiety are high among lesbians. The greater amount of danger facets (or items that enhance danger) a female has, the more the opportunity that she will develop heart problems. There are several facets which you can not get a handle on such as for instance growing older, family wellness history, and competition. You could do something positive about a number of the biggest danger facets for heart and coronary disease smoking cigarettes, hypertension, not enough exercise, diabetes, and high bloodcholesterol.
- Workout. Research reports have shown that real inactivity contributes to a individuals danger so you can get heart and heart problems, in addition to some cancers.